This year has been so surprisingly horrible for the world at large that we are slightly ashamed to admit that we’re happy 2016 happened, that 2016 was a good year for us. And like each year, we’ve learned myriad things this year. So, here goes. A few things to believe before we start anew-
1. You are beautiful. Maybe not pretty but beautiful all the same. Beauty lies behind what someone looks like. You’re beautiful for all the times you’ve helped someone. You’re beautiful for all the times you’ve supported a cause. You’re beautiful for all the times you’ve been kind. You’re beautiful.
2. There is someone out there who loves you. Stop thinking about finding your other half for a minute, and look around. You’ll see how hard Maa tries to make your food tasty everyday. You’ll see how your giggly friend cracks the most lame jokes when you’re upset just to see you smile. You’ll see how your brother bullies you a little less on your bad days. You’ll see that love is all encompassing. You’ll see how it is a form of energy that is endless. That it envelopes you.
3. You can achieve what you think you can. You are not a score, a grade, a remark. You are yourself-one of a kind, flesh laced with magic. You just need to believe. Your father might find new ways each day to be disappointed in you but you know what you’re capable of. You know there’s a long road, just have to see it to walk it. And trust me, you will.
4. People matter. Your friends, your teachers and everyone else- can you imagine what you’d be without them? Your bullies matter. The junior who wishes you morning everyday matters. So stop assessing and assimilate instead. You know you’re better than this. Grow. Grow towards the light.
5. Trust your dreams and follow them. If there’s something you want to achieve, from the very bottom of your heart, stop everything now, shut out everyone who taunts you and do everything that’ll take you towards your dream. In the end, it’ll be worth it. The learning, the experience, the feeling. And don’t take congratulations from people who mocked you.
6. Move on. Sometimes, you love someone, something so much that it engulfs you and you forget yourself. Never make that mistake. No one deserves love more than the one you give yourself. Your heart will break, but you will carry on. Tomorrow will come. And every tomorrow is an opportunity for you to start over again. Take it.
“There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in,” – Leonard Cohen. 🙂
7. ‘Fear of Missing Out’ is not a real fear. There’s worse out there, ones that can scar you. FOMO was made by the internet and internet is not the reality. If there’s someone out there, celebrating, let them – be happy for them. Their life is not yours. Enjoy what’s with you, seize the moment you have. And on the same note, stop enjoying life for social media and start enjoying it for yourself.
8. Keep faith and work hard. Don’t lose hope. Wait, believe.
Breathe in, breathe out.
Happy New Year – here’s to a wonderful year ahead.
~ The Misfits. ∞
Photo By: Anusha Das